Day 7: Sutton

Today felt like an entire week (in a good way!).

All last night, I had stressed about my wood being too curvy to make a perfect frame. I had prepared an entire mopey spiel for Mr. Grisbee about how sorry I was that I hadn't kept the wood in line with the fence when using the table saw, and that I would go and buy new wood to replace it. Thankfully, it ended up being no big deal. Mr. Grisbee gave me this scrap from the back that I could use instead. Hallelujah! 

I used the sander all by myself on the tinkeria porch to smooth out the new wood. People kept walking by and staring at me. I'm pretty sure it was because I looked like a complete boss. When I was done, I used the table saw to cut the piece into three 2.625 inch planks that I then cut into the four sides of the frame using the 45-degree angled miter. Next, I put all eight of my pieces (four for each frame) through the router and table saw to make my dados and rabbets. Man, I even sound like a boss.

At one point in the morning, something kind of eventful happened. I was using the table saw to slice my final 2.625 inch plank and I got a little nervous because my hand was getting extremely close to the spinning wheel of death (this was because, since it was the last piece, there was not a lot left of the wood to hold on to). I was totally not going to test the wheel retracting feature, so I pulled my hand away and grabbed the push stick to slide the wood through. Suddenly, there was this huge noise and I felt like I got sparks shot into my stomach. Turns out, the push stick, being the little trickster it is, decided to get caught on the spinning wheel of death and blast into a bajillion tiny pieces that shot out all over the place. I was totally okay (and totally not embarrassed) so I just decided to play it off like nothing happened. Unfortunately, everyone in the entire tinkeria heard the noise and they were not going to play it off like nothing happened. Mr. Grisbee came rushing over. I told him what I thought happened and said I was totally fine (which I was). The push stick, on the other hand, was not. He said it "wasn't a very good push stick anyway" so hopefully he is right because the one's I am looking at on Amazon won't get here until February.

In the afternoon, I cut out my acrylic pieces for the front of my shadow box and diorama. I learned that you have to leave the acrylic in the laser cutter after it is done cutting because there is some toxic gas that has to diffuse. I then started on assembly. You lay all of the wooden frame pieces in line and tape the corners together. Then you role it up with the acrylic inside. It is a little hard to explain so I highly recommend you go and watch Aiden's time lapse (stay till the end - you'll see me!). Being the best friends we are, Josey and I decided to work together. We were able to get all the frames for our dioramas/shadowboxes done in less than an hour! 

Overall, this day was incredibly productive and I felt a lot more confident in my woodworking skills. I am excited to do the final assembly steps tomorrow and can't wait to see the final product. Bye!


A very focused Sutton using the tablesaw.

Current Frame Status for Shadowbox


Current Frame Status for Diorama







Comments

Popular Posts