Day 8: Aiden

    Day 8! The time we've had is almost over, and today we started with our wooden boxes put together with the acrylic and everything! Today was a day for polishing, sanding, finishing/staining, and overall just doing touch-ups, along with a few other things like cutting the chipboard and making borders for our pieces.



    Today started with sanding our boxes to perfection and making them smooth enough to pass as a hard bedsheet. Personally, I was amazed by how smooth my box became, as it went from a few small splinters to the smoothness of a bedsheet with just a little sanding! 


    Once the sanding was done, I used the router to smooth the edges of my box and make them look nice, before sanding yet again just to make sure it was nice and smooth. In the end, most edges ended up looking like they were not originally separate pieces of wood, which was great.



    Once all the sanding was done, I moved on to cutting out the borders for my shadoxbox/diorama fronts, as well as laser cutting out the chipboards. I then took the chipboards, and once making sure that they fit in the box, went to the "massive effort of screwing in two screws to each box" (as stated by tyler and josey)

    With the box all prepared, we then went on to applying the wood finish on the boxes, which would bring out the color in them and make them look reflective! We applied a base layer of the finish, waited about an hour, then scrubbed the wood with steel wool and applied another layer. It gave the wood a nice shiny look that I really like!



Comments

Popular Posts