Day 8: Josey

    Each day we continue to add more details to make our shadowboxes and dioramas even better. By the end of the day yesterday I thought we were almost done, but I was somewhat incorrect. Although our boxes were now assembled, they still needed to be sanded, have the finishing oil applies, have screws attached, and several other small tasks that needed completion. We started by removing the tape that had been holding our boxes together and getting it ready to sand. I also printed out my chipboards, which luckily fit into my box nicely. Now that I was ready to sand I used the surprisingly heavy electric sander to smooth the edges around my boxes and make them even. Although this took some time it was well worth it because it made the boxes super smooth and satisfying to the touch. Although I made a few small mistakes at first, I mostly covered them up and ended up with pretty and silky smooth boxes. 

    The next part of the process including screwing in screws (by hand) to the wood. These are there to hold the chipboard in place. This was much more difficult then I thought because I am not very practiced with using a screwdriver and it required a lot of effort for me to get the screws to go all the way into the box. Eventually they did screw in and the placement was perfect--thank goodness. 

    Another satisfying step in this process was applying the finishing oil. This oil was smoothed around the edges and brought out the color in my walnut wood. The boxes needed two coats, so once the first one dried we vernished the sides and repeated the process. Once this dried...

WE ASSEMBLED! 

This part was extremely stressful, and I learned a little too late that it is extremely important to clean your acrylic on the inside prior to putting in the diormama and shadowbox. Because the removal process is annoying and difficult. Although with my diorama it was a big struggle to get it to fit into my box, eventually it did and it looked really good. I love the acrylic in the front and how it looks with the dark colored wood. My shadowbox fit into the box much more nicely, and although we couldn't put the lights in yet because the oil wasn't dried, I can tell it's going to be cool. Overall it was a very exciting day because we were able to mostly assemble and I can't wait to show off my projects!

Diorama! 

Shadowbox--And yes, it gets even cooler

 

Comments

Popular Posts