Day 9: Sutton

Today is the last day of J-Term. Cue the sappy music.

We began by installing LEDs in the back of our shadowbox frame. As luck would have it, I ran into a slight problem. Again. Mr. Grisbee had given us each an attachment sticker yesterday that he specifically told us NOT to lose. Clearly, I am doomed to disobey the instructions. That attachment sticker must have been friends with the push stick and, together, they must have shared some agreement to mess things up for me. Late last night, the sticker left my box and straight up disappeared from the building. Come on. I had to go tell Mr. Grisbee that I had lost the sticker. Fortunently, he was able to find me some off-brand replacements. Yay.

Once my lights were installed, the shadowbox looked amazing! We each snapped some cool shots of our pieces to put in our blogs and in our J-Term presentation. We then began work on our slideshow for the J-Term presentations next Friday. We are going with a brown/woody/simplistic/lots-of-photos type theme. We took a few photos of our group together; including one slightly terrifying-looking panoramic. I'll attach it at the bottom of this blog. Be prepared. The rest of the morning was spent completing our presentation. 

In the afternoon, I began brainstorming and playing around on Adobe Illustrator to create my individual project. Since our group was able to finish our shadowboxes and dioramas with some spare time, Mr. Grisbee granted us permission to spend the rest of the day making our own projects. After 9 days straight of designing my shadowbox and diorama, my creative juice tank was running low. I settled on some cool honeycomb coasters with bees in the middle. This may sound basic, but they actually have a deeper meaning. My dog's name is Baker and our family is extremely obsessed with him to the point where we seem borderline psychotic. Anyways, we call him "B" for short. The bee on the coaster stands for the "B" nickname. Hey! I had to come up with some way to justify these random coasters!

Midway through through the coaster project, I took a timeout to install sawtooth hooks to the back of both of my frames. Unless you are a sawtooth hook expert (which I am not), you probably are confused why they sound like a species of shark. Well Nancy, it is because the hook has a entire edge that is just jagged triangles. Crazy - I know! Either this hook doubles as an extra pair of teeth, or the jagged edge makes it easier to hang on the wall. Not sure. 

I then printed my "B" coasters using the laser cutter and glued them together using wood glue. See photos below.

This quick afternoon project was really eyeopening because it made me realize how much my Adobe Illustrator/woodworking/designing skills have improved by the end of this J-Term. Now is where I would go in to the deep, sentimental, personal improvement reflection segment but, lucky you, I have a whole entire blog dedicated to that! Go check it out! Bye!

 

B and the Bee Coaster (and my hand is fine I swear, I don't know why it is so red)

Safari Shadowbox with White Light

Safari Shadowbox with Green Light

Safari Shadowbox with Blue Light 

Shadowbox with No Lights

Final Diorama in Frame

Sawtooth Hook




Slightly Scary Photo (but 6ft apart!)









Comments

Popular Posts